- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)
- The format of the SAT is multiple choice and is a timed exam. Practice papers are advised.
- The test is scored out of 2400. Some Universities demand higher entry scores but most will settle for the average score.
- For more information see;
- Leaving Cert/’A’ or ‘O’ level
- Performance profile, International competitiveness (will decide how much of a scholarship will be awarded
- September-May (3/4 weeks off at Christmas)
- Lectures in the AM and practice/play in the afternoon
- 15/18 hours per week class work (3 hours per morning)
- Gym work/Nutrition
- Sports Psychology
- Universities play between 5 & 8 tournaments per semester (12 per year approximately)
- Team of 5 players travel to tournaments
- Selected usually from panel of 10/12
- Players must be passing exams to play. No exceptions
- Scholarships can last 4 or 5* years
- *“Redshirt year” – When a student opts not to play in tournaments for a full season but can still practice with the team.
- Scholarship cannot be taken away/reduced if scores are poor. If you fail your exams repeatedly, or get in trouble with the law your scholarship can/will possibly be removed.
- Research the University you would like to attend and try to get as much outside opinion/information about the Setup/Team/Coach.
- Send a CV to your ‘Top 20’ or more Universities with an accompanying letter stating your intentions etc.
At a glance.
|University of Alabama Birmingham
|East Tennessee State
- Most Universities now offering golf scholarships
- Most Universities now also offering continuous coaching/physical conditioning
- Intervarsity golf played throughout the year (run by the GUI)
At a glance…..
To identify and assist with the development of golfers of international standard during the course of their study.
The Paddy Harrington Golf Scholarship programme offers amateur golfers of international standard the opportunity to pursue their golfing career whilst undertaking an internationally recognised degree course from the National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
The golf scholarship programme aims to provide a platform for golfers to achieve their golfing and academic potential. At NUI Maynooth, we promote individual golfing excellence and development, while representing the University at national and international collegiate level. Our mission is to develop our golf scholars to a standard whereby they can pursue careers in top amateur or professional golf.
The Scholarship Programme
NUI Maynooth, in association with Carton House, Oceanico Group, the Golfing Union of Ireland and the R&A offers a competitive and structured golf programme which includes:
• Access to two championship golf courses at Carton House Golf Club
• Access to The Royal Dublin Championship links course
• Access to full GUI Academy Practise Facility
• Coaching and technical development under GUI national coach
• Warm weather training at Oceanico Golf resorts, Algarve Portugal.
• Golf specific fitness training
• Golf mental fitness coaching & guest speakers
• Performance Nutrition and Lifestyle Management
• Performance analysis
Tournaments and Competitions
• Intervarsity Collegiate events: GUI Intervarsity Series and Match play tournament
• European University Sports Association (EUSA): European Intervarsity Championship.
• International University Sports Federation (FISU): World University Golf Championships.
• R&A Bursary Tournament and Boyd Quiach Tournament at St. Andrews, Scotland
• GUI Cup and Shield Championships: Senior Cup and Barton Shield
• Paddy Harrington Golf Scholarship Golfer of the Year Competition
• All- Ireland Barton Shield Champions (2012)
• European University Champions (2009)
• Touring Professionals x 2
• PGA Professionals x 2
• Irish Internationals x 14
• Irish University Internationals x 11
• Inter varsity Men’s & Ladies Team Championships x 9
Along with great facilities at Carton, students also have free access to a state-of the art gym, weights room, swimming pool; physical therapy room, on campus accommodation and a range of other support facilities are also available.
In addition to developing golf ability, students will also have the benefits of a top class educational experience at NUI Maynooth. The team in NUI Maynooth believes strongly in providing a holistic life-experience for students. This includes a powerful but personal academic experience, and involvement in diverse student activities to broaden the mind and deepen the understanding. The University has a superb range of courses on offer in Arts, Sciences, Engineering and Business and has a highly-regarded academic staff, many of whom are leaders in their chosen fields.
For further information please visit website www.nuimgolf.com or contact:
Barry Fennelly: 086 1675056 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scholarships offered to players playing at International level or deemed by selection committee to be good enough to compete at International Level
- Academic qualifications need to match course selection (CAO)
- Access to Elm Park, Portmarnock Golf Club & Royal Dublin GC
- Strength & Conditioning through UCD’s High Performance Centre
- Funding provided so player can continue to work with existing swing coach
UCD Ad Astra Elite Athlete Academy
+353(0)1 716 3291
The Academy offers flexible admission arrangements acknowledging that dedication to sport may potentially have prevented applicants from getting the CAO points they would otherwise be capable of achieving. As a result, conditional offers to successful applicants are given pending the achievement of subject and grade requirements.
- Flexible entry to the applicant's programme of choice
- Individualised academic support and mentoring
- Financial Assistance against fees and/or living costs
- Subsidised place in UCD accommodation guaranteed
- Sport Science Monitoring
- Programme workshops/master classes with the Institute of Sport and Health
- Sport medicine/Physiotherapy support
- Travel to national and international competitions
- Physiological and biomechanical monitoring
- Strength & conditioning, and priority gym access
- Stipend (currently €1,000 pa)
- Sports nutrition
- Sport psychology
- Free access to UCD sports facilities and relevant sports clothing
- Individualised career advice on completion of programme
University of Ulster Coleraine campus
University of Ulster Magee campus
University of Ulster Jordanstown campus
University of Ulster Belfast campus
Athletes competing at representative level welcome to apply for Elite Athlete Entry Scheme (+1 handicap or better can apply to the R&A Golf Club of St.Andrews for individual scholarship)
- Coaching at Greenmount
- Musclo-skeletal screening
- Strength & Conditioning
- Golf course management
- Financial support for tournaments (including GUI events)
- Membership of Royal Portrush & Galgorm Castle GC
- Potential scholarships should be playing at a provincial level or equivalent.
- Academic qualifications need to match course selection (CAO).
- Strength and Conditioning.
- Access to Sports Psychologist
- Access to counselling service – for academic and/or sports purposes.
Other Academic institutions with golf teams…
- Queens University Belfast
- Trinity College Dublin
- Sligo IT
- Dundalk IT
- Dublin Business School
- Athlone IT
- Blanchardstown IT
- National College of Ireland
- Tralee IT
- Tallaght IT
- Carlow IT
Irish College Golf Association (ICGA) tournaments now run by the GUI.
Greenmount/ Darren Clarke Golf School
- Continuous access to GUI elite PGA professionals and specialized fitness instructors in the following areas;
- Technical (GASP video analysis)
- On-Course (stats program & correct analysis)
- Psychological (GROW model with lifestyle and performance management)
- Practice (recording and correct analysis of structured practice skill testing)
Programs on offer
- Full time.
- BTEC National Diploma in Sport (equivalent to 3 A levels)
- Only full time educational and golf program available in Irl/NI.
- 18 modules over 2 years
- Continuous assessment rather than seated examinations
- Presentations, assignments, video evidence, practical demonstrations.
- Structured golf program (as above).
- 4 GCSE’s at grade C or better (or equivalent Junior Cert results) 16+ years of age.
- Diploma can be used towards credit for entry into higher education program (University), entry into PGA, and much more.
- GOLF ONLY program (as above)
- 2½ days p/week.
- 36 weeks
- Transition year package
- A 50 day structured coaching program for a maximum of ten transition year students which is delivered by DCGS coaches at three different venues:
- The Darren Clarke Golf School
- Dublin Base
- Winter Training Base (Currently Spain)
- The program takes into account all relevant golf performance factors in line with the Full Time Program such as psychology, technical tuition, on course tactics, fitness (TPI), nutrition, short game etc.
- Bespoke package
- See website – or email email@example.com for more info
- Positive surrounds.
- Continuous assessment/coaching/planning/competing.
Players who have attended the DCGS have gone on to join the PGA, take up scholarships in the US, play Walker Cup, and play full time.